We had to abort our most recent road trip due to the coronavirus, and while we wait for the borders to reopen so we can continue that trip, we are taking the chance to explore more of our home state of Western Australia, including relaxing at the beach in Coral Bay in the north-west.
We love to go snorkelling when we can. We have snorkelled some great reefs around the world, but our family have yet to test the waters of the Ningaloo Coast in our home state. The reef at Coral Bay is part of the world’s largest fringing reef, and can be reached in many places right from the shore, ideal for our family holiday. We are all very excited to explore some more of this amazing part of Australia.
Here are some of the amazing places we have snorkelled during our travels, and they all come highly recommended. There is definitely something different about each destination making it exciting in its own right. It must seem obvious that we love snorkelling.
Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia – the most well-known coral reef in the world. We were travelling with a one-year-old at the time, so we only ventured out to one of the closer islands.
- Amed, Bali, Indonesia – a hidden gem on the quiet north coast of the island of Bali. See our Amed blog for more about our trip there.
- Dahab, Egypt – walking in off the beach into the warm waters of the Red Sea.
- Caye Caulker, Belize – we took a boat to the Belize Barrier Reef, second in size to the great barrier reef.
- Gili Islands, Lombok, Indonesia – you can snorkel off the beaches, or even better take a boat trip around the islands and view turtles and manta rays if you are lucky.
- Lord Howe Island, NSW, Australia – we swam with turtles and saw a shark while snorkelling the world’s southernmost coral reef on this isolated island. See photos
Recent Blog Updates
New Zealand’s South Island
It is not often that the sequel is better. Part two of New Zealand, the south island, just blew us away with its beauty.
Hills & Chills in Ella, Sri Lanka
We have finally posted about some of the places we visited in Sri Lanka in 2018. One of our favourite destinations was the quiet hill town of Ella.
“Life is short and the world is wide”
- Sign-up on Airbnb and make a booking through our link and you will get $35 off (and we’ll get a little something too, thanks).
- Buy on Amazon through our link gives us a tip, and don’t worry you don’t pay any extra.
- There are more on our Resources Page
Here we are visiting the Hida Folk Village in Takayama, on our trip to Japan in 2011. It is an open-air museum exhibiting over 30 traditional houses from the Hida region.
Thanks for following This Travel Life as we reflect on our adventures around the world. There is heaps more information on the website, we have been adding lots of articles recently. Drop us a line to make a comment, suggestion or ask a question. Check out and follow our social channels below for more content.
This article was first created as a newsletter for followers of this blog. If you have not already, please subscribe and receive updates from This Travel Life and have access to all our freebies. See more newsletters.