Top-10 List: Our Favourite Churches from Around the World
[ more Top-10 Lists ]
This list is our own personal top-ten Christian churches we have visited around the world, based on what we have seen and experienced in our travels.
[updated in 2017 with the addition of the Scrovegni Chapel]
1. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
We cannot go past the biggest and most important Christian church for the top of our list. Even if you were not a catholic, this is a must visit when in Rome.
2. Sistine Chapel, Vatican City
This place was packed when we went through, but when you look up you are on your own, so many familiar images.
3. Sainte Chapelle, Paris France
(French for The Holy Chapel) is a Gothic chapel on the Île de la Cité in the heart of Paris, France, famous for its large stained glass windows.
4. Scrovegni Chapel, Padua Italy
5. St. Marks, Venice Italy
6. Westminster Abbey, London England
7. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona Spain
It may not yet be finished, but Gaudi’s masterpiece will be one day if you go there and support the building effort. It is like no other.
8. Duomo di San Brizio, Orvieto , Italy
An amazing Romanesque Gothic cathedral
9. Notre Dame, Paris France
10. York Minster, York, England
* missing out on the top 10 are: Mexico City Cathedral, Mexico, King’s College Cambridge England, plus many more in Rome.