Our World Top-10 List: Religious Experiences from around the world
[ more Top-10 Lists ]
This list is our own personal top ten based on what we have seen and experienced in our travels, mostly from our round the world trip in 2005.
1. Seeing the Shroud of the Virgin Mary, Mexico City, Mexico
2. Visiting the Tomb of St John, Turkey
3. Witnessing the Burning Ghats, in Varanasi, India
4. Shrine of Our Lady of Yankalilla, South Australia
If you look very closely you may or may not see the image of Mary in the corner of this picture. Some people have reported seeing the image of Mary on the wall of this church, and it has now become a pilgrimage for people who believe this sort of thing. The Shrine of Our Lady of Yankalilla is inside the Anglican parish church in Yankalilla, a town south-east of Adelaide, in South Australia.
5. Tomb of the Popes, St Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
6. Sistine Chapel, Vatican City
7. Goreme Outdoor Museum, Turkey
The rock churches near Goreme in Turkey have been preserved as an outdoor museum. The churches and other buildings are carved out of the soft rocks of this region. The churches have fantastic painted frescoes, dating from the 11th century.
8. Harlem Church Tour
9. Siena Blessing of a Horse
A horse being blessed in a church in Siena, Tuscany, Italy. This was just prior to the world-famous horse race, the Palio. We visited Siena on our around the world trip in 2005